Dois Ovos e Batatas Fritas e Uma Água com Gás, Por Favor?

I am half Azorean, its the dominate half. The half that comes out in my nose shape, skin color, hair texture, voice volume, and general sense of humor.

I used to spend every Thanksgiving [and 4th Of July, Labor Day and BOTH my dads birthdays each year] surrounded by a couple dozen aunts, uncles and cousins that spoke another language and ate alot of pork.

Despite that I never seemed to pick up Portuguese in a practical way. Dad was not around alot when I was a kid. He was also unfortunately perfectly bilingual and spoke barely accented English around the house. The only thing I did learn to say rather flawlessly was this:

"Dois ovos e batatas fritas e uma água com gás, por favor?"

Its what I would order for supper when I visited the Azores as a child.
Another funny thing about me is, despite my pork loving genetics, I was a vegetarian until I was 13 and still eat only fish and a little chicken.

That sentence up there is my go to meal in the land of meat with a side of meat: two eggs and fries and one sparkling water, please?

Lately though I have been thinking I REALLY want to learn to speak more. I can sort-of-kind-of read it, and sort-of-a-little-less-kind-of understand a person.

So, has anyone used one of those language programs? like Rosetta Stone?

Does anyone have a suggestion? Besides watching alot of Portuguese Sesame Street.

Comments

Ashley R. said…
Jerry has the Portuguese rosetta stone! Its the Brazilian dialect but would do the trick. I'm sure he'd burn you a copy. :)

Popular Posts