Where In The World Is Silvana Kathryn!

The last few months have been pure insanity. I know I make that excuse every time I disappear for a while. But I promise this time it is true!

As you know in December I went through the overwhelming process of moving Alice [my husbands grandmother whom I cared for full time] into an assisted living facility. I had finally finished all the paperwork and transition steps and brought over her last things when she somewhat expectedly passed away a month later. This then started another somewhat overwhelming process of emptying her space, filling out more paperwork, and being there for my in laws while they made final preparations.

Then came February I barely remember that month at all. I was trying to start a business doing something I thought I would enjoy but after a little over a month I realized I was making a mistake and had to re-evaluate.

This lead me to March where I made a huge decision about my future and my career. At this point I should have been set. Things should have been on a good path and settling down. However the big career/life choice I made meant that I was going to be a little bit broke for a while so my husband and I were brainstorming for ways I could make some extra money while I built up clients.

This brings us to April. On April 2nd I posted status on my facebook saying "Anybody wanna rent our basement apartment?" Two days later I got a text from my sister in law asking if I was serious about renting the space. I was, sort of, serious, though it needed alot of work to get it rentable. She proceeded to tell me about her co-worker that needed a place by the end of the month and the insanity ensued.

In less than a month and on a budget of $1500 we completely renovated our basement into a studio apartment complete with a kitchen and all new bathroom fixtures. We tore out walls, ran new drains, new water, and two new circuits for kitchen appliances. I put down new flooring, painted the entire space and installed TWO sinks with minimal assistance. We ended up paying my brothers [the general contractors] to do some of the work running drain because it was just a bit over our heads.

I was pulling 16-18 hour days while still trying to focus on that new career venture.
So when I say things have been insane, I truly mean it.

So now that all the blah blah blahing is over I can let you know the good stuff. I somehow forgot to take photos of the apartment before it was filled with the new tenants things. But when she has unpacked the last few things I will take some furnished photos.

If you are thinking tl;dr, than stay tuned for the fun post to come, complete with visual aids!

Comments

Popular Posts